Monday 27 July 2009

Hello once again from very muggy, humid St. Petersburg...

...A few things to touch on briefly…………….

Paxti won four games in a row on Friday. Do you think he was trying to answer the question of “who is better Benat or Paxti?”….hehehehe

Also Arriaga is on fire winning 16 games last week. High cesta to this incredible pelotari. He has overcame a career threatening injury from earlier in his career and is proving to the Dania roster that he is still the top dog of the fronton. Medrano also continues his winning ways.

Now to some news……….

We all know by now that Benny Bueno has been chosen as head of player development at Dania Jai Alai and I think that most everyone that loves jai alai is ecstatic about this hire. Benny is the perfect candidate and has a very, very high passion for the game. I love the fact that the emphasis will be placed on training young teenage athletes and reestablishing a love of the game within today’s youth. When I heard that I was more than pleased. The last thing we need is the same old group of recycled amateurs out there (i.e. Orlando) taking up the precious court time. We need the youth involved with this game and Benny (along with Pancho) has already, independently done a wonderful job doing this. I believe that Benny will also involve young players with good character and sportsmanship, unlike many current American amateurs. I have heard the stories about the amateur play at Orlando and it seems certain individuals there act like instead of practicing and developing their game, instead treat it as if they are on game point of the Pelota World Cup, it’s laughable. Also Benny’s experience as a front and a back, both at a world class level, will be a great resource of information to the young players who decide that they want to take on this “gladiator’s sport”. But also the class of Benny may rub off on those he teaches, which will help them in everyday life even if they don’t become a player. Great stuff Dania, a big high cesta!

Man, Benny was a great player; I have so many stories about when he played. He was such an itimadating presence from the front and possessed all the shots and threw them with great placement and power. I even remember the “outside serve” from time to time in singles;) I also remember the aging Benny still competing at a high level in the backcourt against some of today’s greats. Benny has provided me with some of my best jai alai memories and despite the environment surrounding the game, has always kept a smile and a very positive outlook.

The Dania flip flop is very, very interesting. I like the fact that as soon as I get to the track or fronton, I get to see the best play. I don’t have to wait 3 hours to see the best. However its very painful to watch the early game players after witnessing the feature game guys playing. I wonder how it is working out from a “handle” standpoint. It has its positives and negatives, but I like the old format. I have always loved watching the early game players and then you knew when the late game guys came on the court that the “real” show was about to begin. That element is now missing with the best playing first and the lesser players playing later.

It’s a shame to see the jai alai fans in the Northeast slowly losing interest in the game. I really wish those people got to hold on to at least one fronton. There was always a really strong passion for the game up in that part of the United States and while it still exists, you can see it slowly dying, and it is a shame. I remember growing up in Brooklyn and all the folks that would play jai alai and handball at Lincoln Terrace, Astoria and the Hippo Grounds, quite a site back in the day. Milford was a great place to watch jai alai and was my favorite spot because of the associating of World Jai Alai and while there I would be somewhat familiar with the players because of the Tampa/Ocala/Miami/Ft. Pierce connection. I remember a young Tevin just flying around the court and dominating performances. I also as a youngster got to witness Bolivar at Bridgeport and visited Newport during the last season, the one I believe Borja dominated. Man, there must be so many memories from that area and now they are left with nothing except simucasting, what a shame. High cesta to Michael of Fronton that is trying to keep the dream alive in that section of the country.

That’s all for now……..bye, bye from jai alai. Hov.

No comments:

Post a Comment