Monday 3 August 2009

Miami, Dania, and thoughts on the greatest ever.

Hello to everyone around the world! If you ever care to comment on any of the blogs you can reach me at the fronton social network under the screen name HOV.

I want to share some thoughts on Miami. I have been a long supporter of Fla-Gaming and the old World Jai Alai product. I was raised on a combination of Miami, Milford, Ocala, and Tampa so that is probably why.

I love the play at Miami even with the depleted rosters and I have always thought that Arra and Soluan do a wonderful job getting everything out of the pelotaris. I think that the people in charge do a brilliant job of maintaining the roster at a high level, as well as releasing players that do not maintain a pro level of play (or sending them to the Fort for "fine tuning".)

I have always overlooked the cleanliness of the facility, the shoddy customer service, and the general lackluster attitude of the staff. In any other aspect of life or business, I would not partake in patronizing a business that does not care about the customer, but this is jai alai and I have always been so excited to watch the game at the highest level of quinella play that I overlooked everything. Well I got to say that it is slowly wearing on me. The cut of games is pathetic when they clearly could have added five players for three months until the rosters work its way out. The handles are continuing to decline and the general state of the fronton is depressing, from the condition itself to the customer service. The people that work at Miami just don't care. Meanwhile at Dania everything is looking up. They have added a kids program for ages 10-16, they have been trying innovative ideas, they have involved promotions with the sports card shows and the Radio, and they have promotional deals on food and drinks, ECT.

It’s clear the people in charge care a great deal and it really brings a lot of hope for the game in the states. Also the money that Dania handles is far greater at Dania, thus creating better payoffs on bets. Miami I am a loyal fan and I really like the efforts of your players and the players managers, but I can't ignore all the positive efforts of Dania, and the lackluster approach of Miami. For the time being my business goes to Dania.

Now to some of the play......................

Very, very rough start by the Cuban pelotari Anndy with only 7 wins in 203 quinellas. He has the skill to get involved in the game and score but does not have the catching ability to be involved in long volleys, which is necessary at Dania due to the high ceiling which allows longer rallies. Remember the rough start Medrano had so let’s be patient before submitting a final verdict on this frontcourt.

Arreita is one of my personal favorites; he is a very tough player - as well as a very good singles player due to his strong rebote. The thing about Arreita is he is very steady in all aspects of the game. He is not overly strong in any aspect but he doesn't really have a glaring weakness. It's been a pleasure watching him through the year’s progress into a very solid feature game player.

I wonder if anyone has any information on the decision to have Vega on the roster over Jaime..................

I agreed with the decision to move Urkidi out of the feature games. The veteran front has been an above average player for years now but his skill has declined. He has represented Dania in the past in tournaments and is a very prideful player. I gotta say that the games I have seen him play with the "early" players he has been impressive and has really kept that group on their toes with placing perfect rebote carom after rebote carom. High cesta!

Toto has no place on this roster. 'Nuff said. Oyarbide is a beast and a great player, clearly the best back on this roster outside of Enbil. He is just so fearse on the left side and just hammers it. You always get your monies worth with Jose; he plays with great effort and aggression on a day to day basis.

Elizalde has been very impressive so far since being signed to team Dania. I think he has the talent but many have questioned his effort level from time to time. I have always seen him play very hard while at either Miami or Dania, but very sloppy at Orlando. Whatever your opinion is about him he is an exciting player to watch, and a true jai alai journeyman.

Might be time to hang up the cesta Carvalho. We are starting to feel bad to watch you play in your current condition..........................

I was out of town on a short vacation with my family and missed the world cup final but have read many reports on the internet including a brilliant one here: http://txik-txak-zula.blogspot.com/ and looks as if I missed a classic:( I will tell you this about Goikoetxea he is the best ever! I only can go by what I have seen and I will defend Goiko as the best pelotari ever to play cesta. He has no true weakness and while I hate making generational comparisons, it would be hard for me to believe that any of the former greats could handle his combination of power, placement, and general court savvy. If you were to build the perfect human being for jai alai it would be Goikoetxea and he is still only 29, wow. Just imagine the battles that he is going to have throughout the years with Lopez. It’s going to be awesome! I also think that Eric Irastorza also is going to play into this rivalry. He is already in possession of lethal talent and watching these two compete must create a fire inside, a real burning desire to show these two that he belongs in the conversation of their greatness. It should be wonderful to watch it play out over the next 7-8 years.

Bye, bye from jai alai!

No comments:

Post a Comment