Monday 24 August 2009

Hello everybody

Hello everybody, it’s Hov once again to check in with my observations……………………………………………

I’ll tell you what; I’m really impressed with the level of play that the Miami players are able to keep their games at with the number of vacancies currently on that roster. Every time I view Miami those guys are giving extreme effort and playing the game hard and that’s wonderful to see. That is why I am careful on how hard I am when I critique Miami. First off the place is legendary and for that reason alone it deserves tremendous respect. Just sitting in that fronton is amazing knowing all the wonderful jai alai that has been played on that cancha throughout the years. It really is the “Yankee Stadium” of Jai Alai. Secondly it’s hard for me to be hard on the place because the players almost always give tremendous effort; constant bickering about the place takes away from the performance on the court. Sometimes people talk so harshly about Miami (due to the fronton condition, the neighborhood, problems with stat keeping, ect.) you almost think they are wishing the place away. Look I want a clean fronton, I want accurate stats, to me the neighborhood is not all that bad – not nearly as bad as some people perceive it to be – but at the end I want to sent a positive message about the game and the remaining big two, especially to anyone new to the game.

Now on to the players –

Man, Alexander Rekalde is world class. The way he plays the game is phenomenal. His attacking style is great and he caught some insane cortada’s in today’s matinee, as well as winning three games, including the feature game singles. He has always been a pleasure to watch and when he is on his game he is near impossible to beat.

Ricky has been playing well and you can tell his confidence is way up playing against this current group of backcourters. He is still guilty of overthrowing the ball from time to time, but his placement is much improved than when he first entered Miami. He and Cisneros have great battles out there on the cancha. Speaking of Joey he had an awesome rebote save on a chic chac in game 9 today. He dove with his right side with the ball having chic chac action towards the wall, twisted his body to throw the right side rebote and got it off with POWER. The ball bounced at the 9 line and went straight over Zinki’s head. An awesome shot and one of the better digs of a chic chac I have seen in a very long time. High cesta Cisneros, you always give great effort and you are a favorite of the boys in the Tampa area!

It’s amazing to watch Patrick continue at the level that he plays at. He has had so many injuries, yet continues to come back and giving it his all. He can still climb that wall and scoop up balls on the short hop with the best of them.

Jon is often overlooked but he has tremendous heart. He never gives up on the pelota and always plays very energetic. Imagine if a player like Solozabal had Jon’s heart inside of him. Scary.

Meanwhile, SOLOZABAL 48 3 5 9. There are his stats from last week. With his ability that should never happen and it is sorta sad watching it take place. He just doesn’t care. I’m sure I’ll get some e-mail’s from some guys saying “he might be injured” or “you never been on the cancha” – but listen, I call it like I see it and when the effort is not there it’s obvious. He should be killing this roster, talent wise he is in the top four in the fronton. It’s amazing he gets away with effort like that.

Sierra II had a rough week. He plays his heart out every point and is a fan favorite. But let me ask this question – is he a true late game player? Does he have the skill set? His game reminds me of a dominate early player but it just doesn’t seem to translate into the later games.

When Cancio is on his game he is very exciting to watch. He attacks the pelota and can end a point quickly. However he has been struggling badly as of late. With him I believe it must be injury because effort has never been a question with him. He played better against the more talented group of early gamers from years past than he is against this current group. Sorta weird………………………..

Somebody I never met in my life approached me at Derby Lane to comment on my statement that Elizalde in the feature games was “laughable”. He told me that any back on the roster outside of Minte could compete in the lates right now in the backcourt. He said basically if you think about it Ulises, Chasio, Amigorena are all guys that have no business in the late games of the big two. They are good players he thought but not your classic stereotypical late game players. Point well taken, I ended up hanging with him for the night, high cesta Artie!

Urbieta has game. ‘Nuff said!

Have a wonderful week and enjoy the play! Bye bye from jai alai! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment